Sunday, March 27, 2011

Are we ready for some changes?

I sure am.

I don't know about you but I have had pretty good success with Wendler's 5/3/1. I hit my goal of getting my squat up over 300 and my Deadlift up over 400. Now that I hit those goals I feel it's time to move on. It was a great run but I found that I was neglecting the Olympic lifts and other movements which have a profound effect on overall strength and athleticism.

So here's the deal. You are welcome to continue to follow along with the strength/skill programming that I am going to do. It's going to be very similar to what I was programming last spring right before 5/3/1. Or you can just ignore my strength/skill programming and continue along with Wendler's for your strength. By now you should know it well enough. That being said, I am going to post strength or skill work every day as sort of a buy in. you are welcome to do it if you like, or just head straight to the Conditioning WOD. Afterward there will be a buy out. A cool down move that is gymnastics based intended to strengthen the core. If you have been following my programming since the beginning, this should look very familiar to you. If you are new to Caveman2.0, then stick around. I promise very good results.

I find this to be very exciting, it frees me up to be more imaginative with my programming. It allows me to program the strength/skill work around the conditioning as opposite to the other way around like when I was programming with Wendler's. This also allows for greater variety in the strength work in keeping with the CrossFit method of constantly varied movements.

WOD Monday 28 March 2011
Some old school footage of you know who doing some squats. Posted for your inspiration
 
Strength/Skill
Squat 3x5
I know, I know that whole speech and the first thing I program is Squats. Bear with me here. By now you should know your 5 rep max or close to it. Today you will subtract 10-20lbs from your 5 rep max, after a good 3 set warm up but your 5 rep max minus 10 or 20 pounds and do 3 sets of 5 with the same weight across all 3 sets

Conditioning
21 muscle ups
50 squats
15 muscle ups
50 squats
9 muscle ups
50 squats

Beginners scale by doing horizontal rows and bench dips, intermediate can scale with muscle up rows into a ring dip.

Cool down with 2 minutes front plank

1 comment:

  1. Squats: 245x5x3
    WOD: 9:15 pretty happy with this. I think I have been fighting something off since Friday but I put my head down and just charged through it.

    ReplyDelete